Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cooperation without Compromise - Navigating the Crosswinds

Help for the Wiccan, an unusual post from a Christian Blog. I was asked by Bob to review a book entitled, "Faith and Magick in the Armed Forces: A Handbook for Pagans in the Military." It is by Stefani E. Barner a pagan herself whose husband is in the military. Her goal is to help the pagan/wiccan believer navigate the sometimes hostile and sometimes frustrating military world and practice their faith. Sometimes the most frustrating people are Christian Chaplains who are indifferent if not hostile to them. I can understand the feelings of the Chaplains but I also see how Chaplains are walking a fine line in the military. Eleanor Holmes Norton said, "The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with." As Chaplains that is what we are to do. It is summed up in the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." It is the responsibility of the Christian Chaplain to help any faith practice in the military environment. Now there are some guidelines but overall our responsibility is to be an aid to other faiths. This can be done in a positive manner. This in effect is ministering in a pluralistic environment.


Some may want to know if there are enough pagans/wiccans in the military to be an issue. I really believe there is. When I was in Iraq we had wiccans who wanted to hold their practices. They did this at night. The base Chaplain was trying to help them and they need to go through the steps required by the military to be recognized.

Another situation was with a young man who had problems and was not overly enthusiastic about talking to a Chaplain but he did talk to me. I asked him if I could pray for him and he said no. I asked and he told me he was Pagan. He was a loner but he did his own rituals. We talked more and I asked him if there was something I could understand the Pagans better? He gave me a small book that explains what he does. We left as friends and he told me he had a Baptist pastor he was friends with in Florida. They would often talk about faith and Jesus. This was a positive response to someone who holds to an anti Christian religion.

But the military is really a microcosm of the society as a whole. It reflects the culture we live in. Wiccans are a private group usually who do their thing undercover of secrecy to avoid ridicule or unwanted attention. I found out that they are in places I would not consider. In my regular job I had to go to Watervalley MS. I stopped to ask directions, and yes men do ask directions, and the lady who helped me had a snake ring on her finger and a pentagram around her neck. The book I read said those who are into Wicca usually have something to identify themselves. A ring or necklace etc. I asked her if she was into Wicca. She quickly, confidently affirmed that she was. This is in little town Mississippi. If they are there where else are they? If they are in Water Valley, they are in the Military.

No comments: